- Robert F. Heary, M.D., Professor of Neurological Surgery, Program Director of Neurosurgical Residency Training, Department of Neurosurgery, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey
- Todd J. Albert, M.D., Professor and Vice Chairman, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Rothman Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,
A complete reference for restoring balance and function to the deformed spine
From imaging modalities, to anesthesia considerations, to intraoperative monitoring techniques, this introductory text presents a thorough overview of all key concepts for the accurate diagnosis and successful treatment of spinal deformity. The authors cover the principles of sagittal and coronal balance and address the role of flexible versus fixed deformity in treatment planning. Straightforward explanations of the etiology, pathogenesis, radiologic and clinical findings, differential diagnosis, and both surgical and nonoperative treatment options for each disorder provide the reader with the information necessary for handling each clinical situation with confidence.
- More than 400 drawings, radiographs, and photographs demonstrate pathology of spinal deformities and the techniques to address them
- Coverage of possible anatomical variations of the deformed spine prepares the clinician for managing complex cases
- Discussion of general medical issues including pain management through medication, the potential for postoperative pulmonary complications, and how to manage metabolic bone disorders
- A review of the latest technological advances using image guidance and robotics in deformity surgery
- Descriptions of bracing and casting techniques, with a brief literature review on outcomes
Written by a multidisciplinary team of experts, this book is invaluable for all beginning and experienced neurosurgeons, orthopedic surgeons, residents and fellows in those specialties, and allied health professionals requiring a comprehensive reference and review.
Cover Art Illustrator: Chadi Tannoury, M.D.