- H. George Burkitt, BDScHons(Queensland), FRACDS, MMedSci(Nottingham), MB, BChirCambridge), FRACGP, FACPsychMed, General Medical Practitioner and Medical Author, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Clive R. G. Quick, MB, BS(London), FDS, FRCS(England), MS(London), MA(Cambridge), Consultant General and Vascular Surgeon, Hinchingbrooke Hospital, Huntingdon; Associate Lecturer in Surgery, University of Cambridge; Former Examiner in Basic Sciences and Clinical Surgery for FRCS and MRCS(England)
- Joanna B Reed, BMedSci(Hons), BM BS(Nottingham), FRCS(Eng), Clinical Director for Surgery and Consultant Laparoscopic and Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon, Hinchingbrooke Hospital, Huntingdon, UK
- Philip J. Deakin, BSc(Hons), MBChB(Sheffield), General Medical Practitioner, Sheffield, UK
Essential Surgery is a comprehensive and highly illustrated textbook for clinical students as well as a practical manual for junior doctors and those preparing for postgraduate qualifications in surgery. The unique feature of the book is its problem-orientated nature as distinct to the traditional disease-based structure.
New to This Edition
- Now with full text online on Student Consult.
- Comprehensively updated in line with the evolution and refinement of surgery over the past few years, by an expanded author team and an advisory group of surgical and radiological experts.
- All line drawings re-presented for greater impact and clarity.
- All radiological images reviewed and updated.
- Includes a new chapter on screening.
- Incorporates all the latest consensus guidelines for managing common disorders.
- Explains the pathophysiological basis of surgical diseases and of their management to help bridge the gap between the basic medical sciences and clinical problems.
- Adopts a problem-solving rather than a disease-orientated approach to diagnosis and treatment, reflecting current teaching trends which emphasise the full understanding of how a diagnosis is made and why a particular treatment is used.
- Includes information about epidemiology, disease prevention and the provision of health care, and tries to relate the community aspects of surgical problems to aetiology, disease prevention and primary care.
- Contains outlines of common surgical operations, to enable students and junior doctors to explain operations to patients and to allow them to participate intelligently in the operating department, as well as giving them an understanding of how to prevent complications.
- Includes a major section on accident surgery related to the general surgeon.