- Dennis Kerr MBBS, MHA, FANZCA, FFICANCA, DipABA, FHKCA, FHKAM, Joint Orthopaedic Centre Bondi Junction, New South Wales Australia
The concept of integrating pain management into the surgical process as a single entity is new and exciting. The use of local anaesthetic to block post-operative pain at the site of its generation is here refined into a management program allowing early mobilisation and dramatic pain control in the early post-operative period. This multimodal technique is demonstrated here with application to lower limb arthroplasty and spinal surgery. This is not only a detailed explanation and instruction in the technique and concept, but a historical perspective on its development, and will be of great interest to all orthopaedic surgeons as well as anaesthetists.
Using easy-to-understand terminology, this text covers:
- LIA methods
- Pre- and postoperative management
- How to select a needle injection location
- The benefits of combining the LIA technique with the drugs Naropin, Marcain, and Xylocaine
Color images throughout the text highlight the advantages of LIA, including:
- avoidance of sedation
- simple execution for physicians
- reduced risk of infection and blood clots
- little physiological disturbance
- earlier patient discharge and return to the workforce
- improved patient performance, outlook, and mobility
- fewer medical expenses
Note: Only Platinum member can download this ebook. Learn more here!