- James Gossage, Specialist Registrar General Surgery, London, UK
- Bijan Modarai, Clinical Lecturer in Vascular Surgery, Guy’s and St. Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
- Arun Sahai, Specialist Registrar Urology, Guy’s and St. Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
- Richard Worth, Specialist Registrar General Practice, London, UK
A 64-year-old woman has been referred to the on-call general surgical team by her GP. She has been complaining of pain in the upper part of her abdomen and generalized itching. Her daughter has also noticed a yellowish discolouration of her skin. The symptoms started a week ago and are gradually getting worse. You have been assigned her initial assessment…
100 Cases in Surgery presents 100 scenarios requiring surgical treatment commonly seen by medical students and junior doctors in the emergency department or outpatient clinic. A succinct summary of the patient’s history, examination, and initial investigations—including photographs where relevant—is followed by questions on the diagnosis and management of each case. The answer includes a detailed discussion on each topic, with further illustration where appropriate, providing an essential revision aid as well as a practical guide for students and junior doctors.
Making speedy and appropriate clinical decisions, and choosing the best course of action to take as a result, is one of the most important and challenging parts of training to become a doctor. These true-to-life cases will teach students and junior doctors to recognize important surgical conditions, and help to develop their diagnostic and management skills.
- Presents succinct case studies in an easy-to-read format, listing patient history, examination, and investigation
- Illustrates a broad range of common conditions, from breast lumps to diabetic feet, together with more unusual presentations
- Guides readers through the clinician’s sequence of thoughts and actions
- Includes questions at the end of each case, prompting readers to consider their options for diagnosis, investigation, and management
- Contains illustrations, information boxes, and key point summaries to reinforce learning